say goodbye to religion.

So I came upon a myspace page that was on a myspace friend's top friends.
http://www.myspace.com/stuckwithpinsministries
I read through the whole thing and thought, 'This couldn't have been said ANY better.' They spoke every word that I have ALWAYS wanted to put out. But I could never ever ever find the perfect words to tell it. Reading this inspired me to take a selfie such as the one posted below (Flickr made the before photos so much darker than they were, fyi).

Process of post-production:



Christianity has lost its meaning for so many people, and has been given a bad name. Jesus is not a religion. Jesus is not a trend. Jesus is not a fashion. Jesus is not my 'homeboy'. He is my Savior. He is the most important relationship in my life.

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    glad to hear that =)  

  2. Tommy said...

    I'm with you mate. Jesus is for life not just for Christmas.  

  3. loswl said...

    Love the photo and the lighting! and love the sentiments, many people are relying on the religious aspects of Christianity, which has its place. But Jesus did not come to build a Religion or a society of Religious followers, He came to die for our sins, so we don't have to suffer the ultimate punishment that we truly deserve! and oh yeah, i love what you said about Jesus not being our "home boy" If we really knew who Jesus is, we would be down on our knees! not "yow my home boy!"  

  4. Godserv Designs said...

    A good and true message. Most of the time our religious activities stand against our beliefs and even our witness. It has it's place but, spreading the good news of Jesus Christ and staying close to Jesus in study and deeds is our #1 priority - Totally agree here Sis.

    I love the fact that your face is out of focus - Jesus is in focus while self is denied - perfect.  

  5. Anonymous said...

    Agreed. Jesus is not a religion, he wouldn't ask us to choose one. I choose HIM  

  6. Anonymous said...

    Profound.
    Since Jesus declared Himself to be The Truth, then any reduction of the Truth is the creation of a lie. Discounting or diminishing the value of the Truth is blasphemy. Now there's an unpopular topic.
    God bless you for your declaration.  

  7. Amanda said...

    May I have your permission to print out your photo?
    It's for the following
    Call for entries!
    Artspace50 presents the joint-exhibition 'WORD' for this month April. Anyone can submit their work.

    Make a drawing about a bible verse that stands out to you. Make it on a A4 format paper or send it at the Artspace room or digitally to justavantia@gmail.com.
    Your submission will be blown up to a large size and placed on the walls of the Artspace50.

    Deadline is already 14 of April 2010, so it's a get-into-action-now art!
    greetings from Artspace50, Amsterdam, Netherlands. No need to post this comment on your site, i just wanted to ask you permission thru this!  

  8. Meliza Celeridad said...

    Art: Yes, you may :) Thank you for asking!

    -Meliza/Melizerrrr@yahoo.com  

  9. mossmansulphursprings said...

    Definitely!...Jesus came to save us from "Religion".Thanks for the message  

  10. Cole Franke said...

    I love this! and I love your blog.
    nicole visiting from
    http://lettersfromcoco.blogspot.com/  

  11. Anonymous said...

    Jesus is our saviour see my work,
    Brightstar 7 PB ministry, my copyright work (c) 2010.

    Go to http://www.lulu.cpm/content/paperback-book/the-logos-the-word-in-a-view-from-eternity's-eye/8821090

    All copyrights reserved by Brightstar7

    I like your photos.  

  12. Genie said...

    I would really love to put your picture on my tumblr. I absolutely agree with you.  

  13. Jesus said...

    blessings...come with us and we will do you some good...jesus..
    can i use your sign

    anthony st.inne
    sweden  

  14. jessica. said...

    hey I LOVE this and I would like to use it for a presentation. you go girl. you can email me at jessica.oxit@gmail.com  

  15. Fairy God Atheist said...

    I'd like to note that Jesus is not your religion, no, but he is PART of your religion, which is Christianity.

    A religion is a set of principles and belief systems centering around a central diety. Therefore, you are religious.

    Stop trying to deny it like you're ashamed of it. If you were, you would shuck religion and instead turn to agnosticism, humanism, or atheism.

    You wrote "I will delete comments that take me nowhere," and the only thing that means is that you will delete comments that you do not like. I can't see how all the comments that agree with you can be taking you anywhere. They're building your ego, not contributing to your education.  

  16. Meliza said...

    @Fairy God: I know He is part of my "religion". I also know that He is not my religion, and you have just agreed with me on that. I've already provided thoughts and links of my view on this.

    What I meant by "comments that take me nowhere" are not comments that are trying to start debate or speak different viewpoints. To be honest with you, I have only deleted one or two (one which was spam). Basically, like some cases before, I go on with a discussion with somebody who opposes with me. Their mind does not get changed (and I don't expect it to be), and the apparent purpose for their speech is to put me down. The conversation went nowhere. That is what I mean.

    I understand what you are saying, though. I don't mean to display an image of myself building some type of ego or highness. However, I am not "ashamed" of my Christian faith and the God that I believe in (though it can be a tough struggle in particular moments - I've never met a Christian that hasn't struggled so). I post a lot of work to hopefully prove that otherwise.

    Thank you for your thoughts.  

  17. D Golden Eagle said...

    I am a Business & Life Coach and I have a background in working with start-up and expanding business as well as working with nonprofit affordable housing organizations. I was involved with Landmark Education and I coached two of their Self Expression and Leadership Programs and will continue doing so. This has given me quite a bet of hands on experience in the daily life of being in business then adding in the education from Landmark; it just called me into developing myself as Business & Life Coach.
    I would like to get your take on all of this.
    I can remember when I was a little boy and people would ask me what was I going to be when I grow up? I would say a cowboy/preacher. I may never be a pastor of a congregation but I can see me being a facilitator, of a Bible study that I have been working on the teaching is on: “What is God’s Plan to End Homelessness?” I can see myself delivering this teaching in a workshop. I have been working on this for the past year, while I have been here in Tacoma WA, as I felt the tug of the Spirit to develop a program dealing with the Churches and believers around their responsibility to our relationship as Children of God. I believe, “when we truly turn our lives around and we have been transformed from being one that is living life under the cerise of the fallen man to being restored back into relationship with God as His adopted children we take on the original roll and responsibilities and receive the abundance of His kingdom.”
    As I have grown up in a Christen family and gone to quit a few churches. I have heard a lot about this but no one had really told me how to live in this World but not be apart of it. It was not until I met Mike Strevel and adding his teachings to what I have already been learning about Trust that I started to understand how to live and walk this out in my life as well as teaching others.
    Please email me at dean.golden@gmail.com and ask me to send you a copy of these files please review them and get back to me with your thoughts, One being the introduction story, then a draft copy of the teaching “What is God’s plan to end homelessness with a possible program that I am proposing. As well as a copy of a study guide I wrote a few years back on a novel, Ishmael, by Darnel Quinn, it is not the Ishmael talked about in the Bible. I am thinking that this may be a good fit to tie stewardship not ownership to leavers and takers that is talked about in this book.
    Please take the time to glance over these documents. I believe that this plan to end homelessness is interesting and definitely worthy of pursuing. I understand that this will be an uphill battle, as this is way I am seeking out people like you or that you may know to partner with. As this can make a difference in the life of every homeless person as well as every believer that we are able to help.
    May YahuWah bless you, as you serve Him; in the ways He has called you to serve.
    In His Service,
    Coach Dean Golden  

  18. Bill said...

    You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater, sis.

    religion |riˈlijən|
    noun
    the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods

    James says, If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless. 27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

    God doesn't hate religion. He hates dead religion. I'd suggest you read your Bible and not get stuck on social clichés.  

  19. martin said...

    Not such a bad idea!
    I have just read a very inspiring book which helped me look at God Jesus and the holly spirit, differently.
    I'ts a free download at...
    http://www.thelotterycode.net/downloadlink.php
    Kind regards
    Martin  

  20. Martina McGowan said...

    I really like the photo and your commentary. Jesus is not my homeboy. He is the Lord of my life.
    With your permission, I'd like to use it on a future blog. So that you can see what I write about, it is www.praiseinaction.blogspot.com  

  21. Fred M said...

    Thanks for your share. I would like to use the "Jesus is not my religion, He's my Savior" photo on my blog @yurconnected dot blogspot dot com.  

  22. Shams Noorur Rehman Farooqi said...

    yea. yu’re right. i agree. i do feel the same...  

  23. Barb said...

    This is a simple yet beautiful truth! It could counteract a post I read on the Huffington Post the other day by a Rabbi titled "Why I Love Religion and Hate Spirituality." Thanks for this. ~ Barbara www.singthemindbipolar.blogspot.com  

  24. Unknown said...

    Such a great reminder that Jesus is a way of life not just something we do. Thank u :)